11. Glenone National School

Back

Information

Glenone National School, (Glenone PrimarySchool, also known as Bannside), built in 1836.

Glenone National School. A very grand school for its time, Bannside, was by no means the typical National School.

 

Glenone National, (later Public Elementary), School was built in 1836, near Portglenone Bridge, on a site donated by Daniel Daly, a local merchant. A two-storey building, 31ft. by 20 ft., with walls 1ft.10 in. thick, it had a slate umbrella roof and was built of black quarry stone. It had one door, 10 windows and an 8-dayclock on the wall facing the bridge. There were two outdoor toilets and a small shed.Boys were taught in the lower storey and girls in the upper.

 

The total cost of the erection of thebuilding was £155.75 and of this, the National Board contributed £103.85.  The following are named as having given donations;- Rev John Rogers, PP of Tamlght £2; eight local merchants, W.H.Holmes, Daniel Day, John Daly, Sen., John Daly, Jr., Dr Heaney, Pat Mooney, John Hamil and James McEntire, all gave £1 each.  The remainder, £36.90, was contributed by, "benevolent persons of all denomination, in sums equal to the circumstance".

 

Reproduced from "Making sense of it all" By Damien Clarke

 

The school, then known as Glenone Primary,closed in 1962. The teachers at this time were Mrs Maura Clarke (Principal) and Mrs Margaret Fox.Glenone School was demolished in 1986.