2. Bann Bridge

Back

Information

Portglenone has been an important crossing point on the lower Bann for centuries. Engineer Charles Lanyon designed the present 3-arched bridge in 1846-47 to replace an earlier seven arched bridge of 1824. A swivel or swing section was inserted in 1853 following a scheme to facilitate river navigation by the Board of Works.

 

CHARLES LANYON

Charles Lanyon was born in Sussex in 1813.  Appointed Surveyor of County Antrim in 1835 he quickly established himself as one of Belfast’s leading architects and included in his significant architectural works are The Palm House in Belfast Botanic Gardens, Queens University, Belfast Custom House, St Stephen’s Green Unitarian Church, Dublin and in 1853 Portglenone Bann Bridge. The location of Belfast’s Waterfront Hall was named Lanyon Place in his honour.